X-Men Movies has been counting down on their Facebook and Instagram and Twitter accounts for the past week to the reveal of the Days of Future Past trailer. We were given the teaser/first trailer back at the end of October, and it still gives me goosebumps.
Now, early on a Monday morning when the majority of the country is wishing for warmer weather (I’m in Michigan and I want to see at least 40F sometime soon), we are given the full trailer.
If you want to watch the first trailer before you watch the new one, click right here.
Check out the trailer below:
After I’ve watched it a few times and let my emotions settle down (Days of Future Past is my favorite storyline from X-Men), let’s dissect it a bit.
Firstly, let’s get the general assumptions out of the way. Ever since the cast was announced for this movie–bringing back all the familiar faces on top of the First Class cast–the world of the Internet has deemed this movie a hot mess. Yes, every studio is trying to make the next Avengers film. Yes, this movie sounds like it’s trying to take more than it can handle. Yes, there’s definitely a 50/50 chance (or maybe more like 65/35) that it will end up a hot mess.
Does this trailer make it look as though that isn’t the case? Well…not exactly, no. It could still tilt either way. But there’s too much here to get too down in the dumps about it.
Let’s keep in mind that this whole story is a hot mess.
Now, to the fun stuff.
- “Are we destined to destroy each other or can we change who we are and unite?” purrs future Xavier as the contrasting young/old Magneto and Xavier fade into each other. It’s a pretty sweet look; James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender do so well in their roles.
- Crazy sentinel about to stab Future Storm! Holy crap those things are creepy. They aren’t anything like the ones from the 90s cartoon I loved and feared. Then again, if they made them verbatim, everyone would just laugh rather than be terrified.
- Lots of shots of the bleak future. Like… lots of shots. Professor X finally explains the whole point, which we all know: sending Wolverine into the past.
- Welcome to the Funky Seventies! We get our depressed Young Charles and Future Magneto explaining that Wolverine needs to get them both.
- Way to rock that Dark Side of the Moon t-shirt, Quicksilver!
- There’s a bit more Mystique in this trailer. We see quite a few places she travels and some of her encounters with Magneto. That’s not even touching on Magneto being a badass and getting rid of pretty much anyone and anything in his way just by flicking his hand.
- Bolivar Trask! Telling the government they will need a new weapon for whatever war is to come.
- Oh man… where to even start for the last minute of the trailer? There’s almost too much to take in. Mystique flipping people around. Bishop and Kitty! Flying sentinels swarming the sky! Explosions! Fire! Breaking glass! Mystique flying out of windows! Magneto arriving with sentinels in tow! Ice Man looking like Silver Surfer! Magneto destroying a football stadium, Bane-style! Exploding White House! Colossus fighting a sentinel! Sentinel lasers!
- The last scene of the trailer gives me goosebumps. Young Charles and Future Charles sitting across from one another, Young Charles shaking and letting a tear fall from red-rimmed eyes. “You’re afraid,” Future Charles says. “I remember.”
I’m still interested in the fact that the Beast isn’t always blue. I feel like that’s cheating. Likewise, there is no glimpse of Rogue anywhere.
There’s quite a bit going on in this trailer. I’ve watched it four or five times now and I still feel like I’m missing things. It almost feels as though it’s trying to make too big of a deal from every detail. We already know this will be a two-movie deal–and I can’t begin to describe how excited I am for X-Men: Apocalypse. We have two months left of waiting to see how this movie will fare with critics and fans.
Let’s see what the next few months bring us.