Just by going off of the title, you are correct to assume that Batman: Assault on Arkham is related to the critically acclaimed Arkham video game series. Set approximately two years before the events of the first installment, Batman: Arkham Asylum, the direct-to-video animated film acts as a prequel and a backstory for characters. An official plot synopsis from DC Entertainment’s press release reads:
Gotham is in great danger when the government assembles a group of villains — code named the Suicide Squad — and forces them to break into Arkham Asylum to retrieve top secret information stolen by the Riddler. Things take a turn for the worse when one of the Squad members (Harley Quinn) frees the Joker, who is intent on blowing up Arkham Asylum and Gotham City. Batman must use his super hero wits and strength to thwart the wicked plans of the Joker and the Suicide Squad.
Back in May, DC Entertainment released a sneak preview with cast and crew interviews and a behind-the-scenes look at the development:
We got a sample of the mood and style of the film when Warner Brothers Online revealed the opening scene on July 14:
Today, Warner Brothers Online released a continuation of the opening clip which shows Batman’s fighting dynamics and devastating hits:
Batman: Assault on Arkham was screened on July 25, 2014 at the 2014 San Diego Comic-Con International. It was released digitally on July 29, 2014 and can be purchased via Google Play or Vudu. Those holding out for the August 12, 2014 Blu-ray Combo Pack will get some extras which include:
- Arkham Analyzed: The Secrets Behind the Asylum: This is the documentary that traces the strange, demonic history of the location where horror is mixed with the extremities of the criminally insane. A place where Batman must keep his watchful gaze, to insure that what goes in does not come out …. ever.
- The Joker’s Queen: Harley Quinn: If The Joker were to have a girlfriend, what would she be like? This featurette covers the story of the deviancy and often provocative side to The Joker’s greatest ally, Harley Quinn.
- An advance look into the next DC animated feature film with the creators and cast.
- Four episodes from the DC Comics Vault.
The film stars the voice talents of:
- Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne / Batman
- Neal McDonough as Floyd Lawton / Deadshot
- Hynden Walch as Dr. Harleen Quinzel / Harley Quinn
- Matthew Gray Gubler as Edward Nygma / The Riddler
- Troy Baker as The Joker
- C.C.H. Pounder as Amanda Waller
- Greg Ellis as Captain Boomerang
- Giancarlo Esposito as Black Spider
- John DiMaggio as King Shark
- Jennifer Hale as Killer Frost
- Nolan North as KGBeast and Oswald Cobblepot / The Penguin
Tags: Amanda Waller Animated Arkham Asylum Batman Batman: Assault On Gotham Black Spider Captain Boomerang DC DC Entertainment Deadshot Harley Quinn KGBeast Killer Frost King Shark Movies The Joker The Penguin The Riddler