Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 smashed the box office with a huge opening weekend!
More from Movies
- James Gunn’s Superman: Legacy casts more major DC characters
- New Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom trailer pushes Arthur to his limits
- 7 actors who could replace Ezra Miller as The Flash in the DC Universe
- Masters of the Universe reboot’s new domain could be at Amazon’s Prime Video Streamer
- James Gunn gives interesting update of Superman and Supergirl movies at DC Studios
The Guardians of the Galaxy came back in a big way this weekend. Back in 2014, the first installment in the cosmic MCU franchise surprised with a $94.3 million box office debut. With that, a big opening for the sequel was expected, and it definitely crushed.
According to Box Office Mojo, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 finished its opening weekend with $145 million domestically. As a result, the film has now made over $425 million worldwide. In addition to this, the film’s release also marks the 15th No. 1 opening for Marvel Studios.
In response to the big weekend, writer and director James Gunn took to Facebook to express his gratitude:
The film’s financial success is not surprising in any way, but it still doesn’t take away from the fact that its weekend total is still quite impressive. It’s also cool to see Gunn thank the fans for their support.
The Marvel Cinematic Universe’s box office total just seems to keep growing. With the release of this film, the franchise as a whole has now grossed over $11 billion worldwide. And with Marvel Studios’ upcoming slate, this total will only increase.
The movie still has a long way to go before it leaves theaters, and it will be interesting to see where its final total ranks among the rest of the MCU.