Marvel Comics’ Devil’s Reign could show the beginning of Luke Cage’s political career.
Issue No. 1 of Marvel Comics’ Devil’s Reign began with Wilson Fisk’s assault on the heroes of New York. Reed and Sue Richards of the Fantastic Four were arrested, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are on the run and Tony Stark wants to run for mayor. These three things are only part of what’s going on.
Unfortunately for the heroes, things get worse in issue No. 2. Thankfully, a good plan is in action.
Luke Cage for Mayor
Luke Cage and Tony Stark were on their way to hide out in the sub-basement of the old Avengers Mansion. On their way, a few kids took a picture of Tony Stark. Stark tried to bribe them, but they wouldn’t delete the picture. Luke Cage stepped in and pleaded with the kids. They were happy to delete the image because Luke asked them to.
Later, Steve Rogers, both Daredevils, and Miles Morales had an issue with Tony Stark’s plan because they think that Luke Cage should run for mayor instead of him. Luke didn’t want to, but he was talked into it. Seeing the way he talked the kids into helping inspired the other heroes. Tony agreed, but he didn’t seem happy about it. More than that, he looked hurt.
Wilson Fisk’s plan
In issue No. 1 of Marvel Comics’ Devil’s Reign, it looked like Wilson Fisk killed Purple Man. In actuality, he knocked him unconscious and took his finger. Fisk kept the finger in his cane. He now uses it to have people bend to his will. A power that was given to Fisk thanks to Otto Octavius. With that came a machine Purple Man is hooked up to. Fisk will be using it to coerce people into voting for him. As devious as this is, it’s a smart move.
Otto Octavius’ plans
Meanwhile, Otto Octavius has his own plans. In exchange for helping Wilson Fisk, Otto got access to Reed’s inventions. More importantly, the Forever Gate. A machine that allows the user to go anywhere in time and space, it will undoubtedly be wielded by the villain for his own gain.
At the end of this issue of Marvel’s Devil’s Reign, Otto is in front of the Forever Gate. Coming out of it is Wolverine, a mutated Hulk, and Ghost Rider. They all appear to be from another reality. Are they his new team? Otto has become more powerful since his Superior Spider-Man days. Creating this team would just be another example of that. But what he’s doing remains a mystery.
- Danny Rand was arrested despite not having powers or being hero. Danny is rich and powerful. This will end with people getting sued.
- Reed and Sue Richards defended themselves easily without their powers. Reed saying, “Son, we don’t need powers to be fantastic” was a great moment.
- Spider-Man getting captured wasn’t shocking. Ben Reilly is willing, but he isn’t ready for the big leagues.
- Otto’s team resembles the Fantastic Four team from a few decades prior. Instead of Spider-Man, Otto is there. Will this become a new team?
- Elektra and Kraven the Hunter have a stand-off. As great as Kraven is, he can’t beat Elektra.
What do you think? Did you like this issue of Marvel’s Devil’s Reign? Let us know in the comments below.