Devil’s Reign continues with Wilson Fisk finding out a secret that could help him rule New York and maybe even the country.
Previously, in Devil’s Reign No. 2, Luke Cage decided that the best way to defeat Mayor Wilson Fisk was to become Mayor of New York. It’s a smart and legal plan that would allow him to end the reign of the Kingpin in a public battlefield. We also saw that Tony Stark had reservations about this plan, almost seeming jealous about the whole thing.
While all of this was going on, Spider-Man (Ben Reilly) was taken out and arrested, while Otto Octavius brought three alternate reality versions of himself into this world.
Things aren’t looking good for the heroes of Marvel Comics and they’re about to get worse.
Wilson Fisk discovers a secret in Devil’s Reign
Wilson Fisk has been using Purple Man’s (Zebediah Killgrave) powers to influence the voters of New York. While talking to Killgrave, Fisk has an even better idea. He’s going to find Killgrave’s children and amplify their powers for himself.
Meanwhile, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and the rest of the heroes are discussing what to do next. She-Hulk says that Fisk’s idea is good. That’s when Jessica Jones feels Killgrave’s influence. This sends Daredevil over the edge. He says that it’s time to go to Fisk and Kidnap him. But Captain America disagrees. However, Daredevil informs him that they’re going to do it with or without him.
The heroes arrive at City Hall where they’re attacked by the Superior Four (Otto Octavius and three versions of himself in other heroes). This is where we find out that Tony Stark wasn’t with the heroes. He was replaced by a Spider-Man villain named Chameleon. During the battle, Otto says that Luke running for mayor ruined his plan as he was going to do the same thing. He then claims that since he can’t run the city, he’ll settle for saving it.
If that isn’t bad enough, this issue ends with Daredevil’s best friend Foggy Nelson being assaulted by Fisk’s goons. They say that Fisk sent them to shut Foggy’s mouth and maybe permanently. The last panel is all red. We don’t know if Foggy survived the beating.
This issue of Devil’s Reign was a ten out of ten. There was a lot of talking going on, but it never outstayed its welcome, it wasn’t boring nor was it too “wordy”. It was all necessary to the story, and great.
If we’re being honest, Devil’s Reign is Marvel’s Civil War only confined to New York. Nevertheless, writer Chip Zdarsky gives the story a new feel. In some ways, it seems even more important. There were sides to choose in Marvel’s Civil War. Here, it’s just an evil man doing evil things.
If Devil’s Reign continues like this, it could be one of Marvel’s best comic events of the past ten years.
Devil’s Reign of questions
- Where is Tony Stark and how did Chameleon and Otto get to him?
- Where did Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm take Ben Reilly? Where is their hideout?
- Sue Storm had a paper clip after her lawyer visited. Is she going to try and escape?
- Is Foggy Nelson dead? How will Daredevil react when he finds out his best friend was assaulted.
- Will the Superior 4 remain in the 616 universe? If so, will Ghost Rider, Wolverine, and the Hulk go after their alternate reality counterparts?
- How long until Captain America and Daredevil come to blows? Cap doesn’t seem to like the way Daredevil has been acting.
- What are Killgrave’s children going to do now that they’re being hunted? Will they get caught or make the world remember who Daredevil is.
What do you think? Are you enjoying Marvel Comics’ Devil’s Reign? Let us know in the comments below.