Jaume Collet-Serra is apparently leading the race to direct the Suicide Squad sequel.
More from Movies
- James Gunn’s Superman: Legacy casts more major DC characters
- New Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom trailer pushes Arthur to his limits
- 7 actors who could replace Ezra Miller as The Flash in the DC Universe
- Masters of the Universe reboot’s new domain could be at Amazon’s Prime Video Streamer
- James Gunn gives interesting update of Superman and Supergirl movies at DC Studios
Warner Bros. and DC Films have been in hot pursuit of a director for the Suicide Squad sequel. So far, a number of names — including Mel Gibson and Daniel Espinosa — have been mentioned as possible candidates. Now, it looks like someone has emerged as the top choice for the job.
Deadline is reporting that Jaume Collet-Serra is currently the frontrunner to direct the film. The director was reported to be in the running earlier this year. Neither Warner Bros. nor Collet-Serra’s representatives have commented on the matter.
Collet-Serra made his directorial debut with 2005’s House of Wax, and he’s been quite busy over the past few years. His recent work includes Non-Stop (2014) and last year’s surprise hit The Shallows. The filmmaker is also attached to a number of other projects set for release in the near future.
With Collet-Serra’s familiarity with action and suspense, it’s understandable that he would be a top contender for the position. Of course, nothing is set, but with news about the project being steadily released, it’s reasonable to assume that an official announcement could be coming soon. There is this little event called San Diego Comic-Con coming at the end of next week after all.