San Diego Comic-Con is officially underway and Marvel Studios already has fans talking thanks to an Avengers: Infinity War poster.
More from Movies
- James Gunn’s Superman: Legacy casts more major DC characters
- New Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom trailer pushes Arthur to his limits
- 7 actors who could replace Ezra Miller as The Flash in the DC Universe
- Masters of the Universe reboot’s new domain could be at Amazon’s Prime Video Streamer
- James Gunn gives interesting update of Superman and Supergirl movies at DC Studios
It’s funny how the most innocuous thing most folks wouldn’t look twice at can become something fans latch on to and analyze to death when it comes to San Diego Comic-Con.
Take Marvel Studios. One of the biggest, most anticipated panels of the entire convention every year is the Marvel panel on Saturday in the fabled Hall H. This is where Marvel has traditionally made huge announcements, revealed upcoming projects and given attendees their first look at trailers before they arrive on the internet.
This year fans weren’t sure what to expect. Disney had its big D23 show last weekend where they showed the first footage from the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War. Would Marvel show the first full railer on Saturday at SDCC? Or might we see some extended footage from Black Panther?
Right now speculation is running rampant.
So it should come as no surprise that the simple act of giving away a free poster on the first day of SDCC featuring concept art for the highly anticipated film caused a flurry of activity online.
Fans have noticed several things about the poster that have them talking about what we might see in the next Avengers movie.
- Iron Man is sporting a new set of armor, which isn’t all the shocking. But this one is something of a departure from what we have seen in the previous films.
- The poster features Gamora, Nebula and Mantis pretty prominently, which is interesting. It has been known for a while that the Guardians of the Galaxy would be in the movie, but does this foretell that they may have a larger role than anyone though?
- If you squint just right, you can see that Spider-Man’s costume has a few changes from the one he wore previously. A bit of an updated look, perhaps?
- The upper corner features Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, War Machine and Black Panther. Does this mean Jim Rhodes has joined Captain America’s renegade Avengers team last seen at the end of Civil War?
Now it should be noted that the poster is just concept art and may not represent anything we’ll see in the finished film. But that said, why would Marvel be givinig out a poster featuring characters and concepts that will be missing from Infinity War?
Curiouser and curiouser.
Keep it at Bam Smack Pow for San Diego Comic-Con updates all weekend. Avengers: Infinity War arrives in theaters on May 4, 2018.